Friday, January 20, 2012

New Blues


Recently I was given the opportunity to put a few questions to the three players taken by Carlton in the 2011 National Draft. Here are their responses:


1. Having now spent a few weeks as a Carlton player, what has impressed you most about the club?

Sam Rowe
The facilities are incredible. The Visy Park surface is like carpet and the gym really is world-class. Using the altitude room has also been surreal.

Dylan Buckley
The way the boys have accepted me and the rest of the new guys. They have really made me feel a part of the Club. The staff have also been fantastic.

Josh Bootsma
It’s been a buzz. The professionalism of the AFL system is the first thing that I noticed. The facilities are also unbelievable.


2. At what point did you realise that you were being seriously considered as a selection by Carlton?

Sam Rowe
I’d spoken to the Blues last year and thought I might be taken in the 2010 draft, but we decided that finishing my apprenticeship was important. Luckily enough, they were still interested in me this year and I’m just so happy to be here.

Dylan Buckley
I was lucky in that I’ve known all year that I’d be selected via the father-son rule, so that took a lot of stress out of it. I’ve been able to concentrate on my VCE without being anxious about where I’d be next year.

Josh Bootsma
I spoke to Carlton during the AFL Draft Combine but I had no idea whether I’d be selected on draft night. I’m really happy to be here, though.


3. What would you say are your strengths?

Sam Rowe
I can crash a pack and I’m able to switch from the ruck to the forward line.

Dylan Buckley
My pace is my greatest weapon.

Josh Bootsma
I have good closing speed and I can play in a variety of positions.


4. What areas do you feel you need to improve on?

Sam Rowe
Probably my stamina, but I’ve come from a system where football is a part-time profession, so I’m sure that will improve now that I'm at Carlton.

Dylan Buckley
I definitely need to bulk up.

Josh Bootsma
I need to get stronger to be able to compete at an AFL level.


5. What goals are you hoping to achieve at the club in season 2012?

Sam Rowe
I really want to prove myself and, obviously, making my debut would be a dream. I’ll just do everything to my best ability and hopefully things fall into place.

Dylan Buckley
To be the best Clubman that I can be.

Josh Bootsma
I want to prove myself at the Club and show that I can compete with the more senior guys at training.


6. What are your interests outside of football?

Sam Rowe
I love carpentry and working with my hands.

Dylan Buckley
Spending time with mates.

Josh Bootsma
Love music and movies. Will Ferrell is one of my favourite actors.


7. Who stood out at the 2011 AFL draft for you, as 'one to watch' for the future?

Sam Rowe
I didn't see a lot of the crop of young players, but having trained with Josh and Dylan for the last couple of weeks, I can tell they’re both going to be handy players!

Dylan Buckley
Jonathon Patton is a fantastic forward. He’ll be a force in years to come.

Josh Bootsma
Stephen Coniglio is a very good player. He'll probably play in 2012.



I'd like to thank the players, and the Carlton Football Club for helping to facilitate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment